Welcome to the Ambush

The collective noun for a group of tigers is an ambush or a streak

Sunday 8 April 2012

MEET THE TEAM: BAZ FLOYD


So, as nobody else has submitted their Tigers' Meet The Team questionnaire, we scrape the bottom of the SpecialEffect kit bag with tonight's Tiger, Baz Floyd. He can probably hit the ball harder and higher than any other Tiger ... if he could just get his timing right, he might score some runs one day.

Let's hear it then Baz ...

Name: Baz Floyd
 
Date of Birth:16th July 1967

Where were you born? Oxford

How do you earn a living? I'm a consultant in the Not for Profit sector

What do you do cricket-wise? RHB/I don't bowl anymore

Your favourite cricket team? Essex

Who's your favourite ever cricketer? Graham Gooch

What's your earliest cricketing memory? Playing tip & run with my uncles and their mates up Finstock playing field when I was five or six. We used a composite cricket ball on a very uneven pitch. Being the youngest by at least six years I was always warned ‘If you go crying to your nan when this ball hits you we won’t let you play again’. It took me until I was about eight years old to even get the ball off the square. Bunch of gits!

What's the best and worst grounds you've ever played at?

Best?  Well, I’ve played at New Road, Worcester but seeing as I didn’t bat or bowl, I wouldn’t have a clue what the wicket was like. My two best innings (46 & 41) have been at Harborne, Birmingham so I guess that should be my best ground. Trouble is, we were playing in the Church Times Cup for the Diocese of Coventry so I had to pretend I was a vicar!

Worst? Churchill. I think they only shifted the cows from the wicket on the morning of the game.

Do you have a favourite fielding position?  Yes, mid-on or mid-off. I can catch so I don’t mind going in attacking positions … just not too ‘silly’ because I’m getting on and my reactions aren’t what they used to be … actually they’re exactly as they used to be. Slow. 

What's your favourite other sport? Football

Are you any good at it? I love West Brom. I love football. I’m crap at it … late, crunching tackles, hopelessly misplaced passes and over-optimistic long-shots just about sum up my footballing ability. They do say you learn behaviour ... I watched Alan Buckley’s West Brom team in the early to mid 90’s so I must have got my 'crapness' from them.

Which sport do you find most boring?  F1. I don’t get it. I can understand it would be exciting for the driver but for the spectator? I mean, really? 

Who's your all time sporting hero?  Cyrille Regis … by a country mile

What's the strangest or funniest thing you've ever seen on a cricket field?  Easy. It was the day I realised I couldn’t bowl anymore. I had taken a break from cricket for about six years after spending my youth terrorising batsmen across Oxfordshire. My first game back was for Oxfam CC. I ran in to bowl and could hardly get the ball on the square … I’ve not bowled since. It just doesn’t feel right anymore. Gutted.

You can have four people to dinner, past or present, who would they be and why? 

Former British wrestler, Kendo Nagasaki so I can give him a piece of my mind about being dishonest. He promised to commit Hari Kari in the ring if he was ever unmasked. John Grain and I were sat in front of World of Sport in December 1977 when the unmasking happened. And that lying Nagasaki let himself get talked out of putting the sword through himself. John and I were devastated.

Tommy Cooper, because he’s the funniest bloke that ever lived.

Cyrille Regis because he’s my all time sporting hero and a great bloke

My dog, Cyrille, because he’s ace. I’d get him to bite Nagasaki then me, Cyrille and Tommy would unmask him again.

You have £100 to spend. What do you buy? 
I’d put it towards a new cricket bat. The Gray-Nicholls I’ve got at the moment doesn’t get me many runs … absolutely nothing to do with my lack of ability.

Cheers mate ... you can go back to whatever it was you were doing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment