Welcome to the Ambush

The collective noun for a group of tigers is an ambush or a streak

Saturday 10 March 2012

Meet the Team: Cam Newton-Grain


The latest in our Meet the Team feature comes from another young Tiger who became a regular member of the ambush in the 2011 season. Playing alongside his dad, John, and Uncle Chris, Cam has demonstrated through his bowling that he can more than hold his own with the more senior members of the family. So Cam, what have you got to say for yourself then mate?

Name: Cameron Newton-Grain

When were you born? 1st October 1997

Where were you born? Chipping Norton Hospital

How do you earn a living? People pay to come and see how great I am. I babysit when needed, but that’s really just me being a great guy

What do you do cricket-wise?  Who knows? I was a spinner, but I’ve stuck with fast for a while now. It varies wildly in pace, and I’ve got quite a lot of swing in pre-season, which basically means no one knows what’s going to happen in the first cricket match.

Your favourite cricket team?  England? Can I say that? I went to watch T20 finals day and my favourite was Leicester, because Mathew “Hoggy” Hoggard played for them, and he’s long been a favourite.

Favourite ever cricketer? Hoggy

What's your earliest cricketing memory?  Probably my orc of a father taking a massive run up and trying to injure his 6-year-old son. Other than that probably the 2005 Ashes, which really made me realize how great cricket is. 

Best and worst grounds you've ever played at?  Best and worse com from the same place, Magdalen. At one point I was on a perfect pitch, good bounce, the sun was shining… At another I was under overcast crowds, walking back after being bowled by a ball that barely reached, and rolled the majority of the distance. 

What's your favourite fielding position?  Boundary/ fine leg/ 3rd man, because we’ve usually got some brute at the crease doing his best to smash the (usually wide) ball into nearby tiger’s heads. If I was somewhere without that though, probably slip/ next to the batsman, because I do like taking catches (Apparently unlike the other tigers!!), I’m just not very good at it!!

What's your favourite other sport?  Football, with a bit of fishing with Baz “all the gear no idea” Floyd

You any good at them?  Football, I play at centre back with a tendency of not scoring from corners and fishing? Not even I can pretend to be decent at that…

Which sport do you find most boring?  Formula 1, though even that can be good in parts, I’m not a fan of swimming

Who's your all time sporting hero?  Definitely Ji Dong-Won, but I am a big Hoggy fan. I also find it amusing how Messi just seems to take opponents apart with and destroy them. Annoying how people keep mistaking me for him…

What's the strangest or funniest thing you've ever seen on a cricket field?  Probably, playing a team, of which the majority of which had never played cricket before, hitting 25, and, after irritating the opposition’s umpire, being given out LBW after the echoes of the huge nick and the sound of no-one appealing had faded.

You can have four people to dinner, past or present, who would they be and why?  Probably Messi, Jimmy Carr, Muhammad Ali and my father. That could get interesting, especially with Jimmy Carr being so funny, Carr and Messi could explain why dad is neither funny nor good at football, then Ali could ... well ... depends on how good my mood was at the time

You have £100 to spend. What do you buy? My Dad the biggest bat possible, but he’d probably still find the edge!

Errrr, yes, thanks Cam. I think. By the way, Uncle Chris and I didn't tell you that your dad was taking over the captaincy of the Tigers for the 2012 season, did we? Don't fancy your chances of getting a bowl after what you've said here mate ... or a bat for that matter! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment